Friday, July 13, 2007

...of dust and mold and book worms...

So, it's been a couple of weeks since I've started my 'research' over here. It's been an adventure, that's for sure. I was definitely nervous about beginning but like any project, getting started really is the hardest part. Thus far here's what I've done:

  • Interviewed 7 people, and only had my mic malfunction once. Good odds.
  • Have spent too much time trying to transcribe these same interviews. I will die transcribing. Seriously.
  • Found footage from the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Station archives - they're making me a video to take back with me.
  • Have spent hours sorting through 15-year-old newspapers at the Fourah Bay College Library that haven't been touched in years...possibly 15 years. This is where I met mold, dust, and small crawling insects - my new friends.
  • Went to something called Media House...useless. Went to the Sierra Leone Public Library - potentially helpful to fill in gaps where the FBC archives fail me. Also checked out a couple of books. Bonus! :)
  • Leave for up country - going to Kenema and Kailahun in the eastern part of Sierra Leone- for 4 days (can I say four/for again?) on Sunday and get back on Wednesday night if everything goes well. Hoping to get an additional 4-5 interviews there.
  • Lined up more interviews for when I get back to Freetown (with people named things like "Scorpion" and "Top Marine"...sounds exciting, doesn't it??!)

That's pretty much it for now. As of today, I officially have 3 weeks left here...21 days. I can't believe that it's almost time to leave...

Transitions. My absolute FAVOURITE thing.

Right.

1 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Cameron said...

You know what makes times of transition easier? Coming to visit friends who work at camp! Think about, it, you'll see that this is true!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home