Thursday, April 19, 2007

...trivial pursuits...

Last night, I went to play trivia with a few friends at a restaurant by the water. My friend, Meghan, runs the trivia night, so it's always fun(ny) (she says, having only gone twice). This week I played on a team with two people from Ireland and one from England. Occassionally, I put on an accent. I don't think anyone noticed.

As the night wore on, some of the team members grew a little, peckish. In fact, it was one of the Irish girls...and this is what she said:

"I'm starved. I need a baked potato."

I looked at her. And then laughed (I would do the same of someone from PEI if they said the same thing).

In her defense she said back, "But potatoes take a god's-age on a kerosene stove!"

It was almost as funny as "Your hair is soft. Like a feather. Of a chicken."

But not quite.


Other highlights of trivia included:
  • trying to convince team members that there really are 7 continents now....not 5.
  • deciding that Dire Straits did not have a top selling album of all time...no matter how much you wish they did (who?)
  • The Great Wall of China covers 1/20th of the earth's surface
  • "underground" and "under...und" are the only two words in the English language beginning and ending with "und" (uh huh, I can't remember the second word. Go figure).
  • "Queue" is the only English word that has three vowels in a row
  • doing OK in the WAR category (phew!)...except for those sneaky questions about ancient history...I'm such a failure. This is why the history department wants to trade me to Political Science. Or anywhere else.
  • yes, Antarctica is a continent. Sheesh. And also, it doesn't 'belong' to anybody.
  • prolonged cigarette smoking and tight pants are the leading preventable causes of impotence
  • rocks larger than 10 inches in diametre are officially called 'boulders'

As you can see, it was a gripping evening.

Wish you could have been there, we needed your brain!

6 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applaud you for spelling "diametre" in the proper British way. Clappity, clap, clap!! I would have also gone berzerk on the 5 continents thing ;)

Rui

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that queue is the only English word that has FOUR vowels in a row....

Love ya!

Jen

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Emily said...

oh right. four.

:P

Like I said, bad at trivia, generally.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

underfund

Jono

ps - rhythms is the longest word without a 'true' vowel.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, our little war monger. I'm sure when the war category came up, you went yes under your breath...

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Of course I did! Is there really any doubt??

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home