Saturday, May 05, 2007

...Frog and Toad Together...



I don't know if you read the "Frog and Toad" books when you were a kid, but I did. We had some hanging around the computer waiting to be catalogued this week and I picked one up to browse through. The first story made me laugh and so I thought I'd write it out for you. If you know me, you'll see why it's funny. :)


A LIST

One morning Toad sat in bed.

“I have many things to do,” he said. “I will write them all down on a list so that I can remember them.”

Toad wrote on a piece of paper:

A list of things to do today.

Then he wrote:

Wake up

“I have done that,” said Toad, and he crossed it out:

Wake up.

Then Toad wrote other things on the paper.

- Eat Breakfast

- Get Dressed

- Go to Frog’s House

- Take Walk With Frog

- Eat Lunch

- Take Nap

- Play Games With Frog

- Eat Supper

- Go To Sleep

“There,” said Toad. “Now my day is all written down.” He got out of bed and had something to eat. Then Toad crossed out:

Eat Breakfast

Toad took his clothes out of the closet and put them on. Then he crossed out:

Get Dressed

Toad put the list in his pocket. He opened the door and walked out into the morning. Soon Toad was at Frog’s front door. He took the list from his pocket and crossed out:

Go To Frog’s House

Toad knocked at the door.

“Hello,” said Frog.

“Look at my list of things to do,” said Toad.

“Oh,” said Frog, “that’s very nice.”

Toad said, “My list tells me that we will go for a walk.”

“All right,” said Frog. “I am ready.”

Frog and Toad went on a long walk. Then Toad took the list from his pocket again. He crossed out:

Take Walk With Frog

Just then there was a strong wind. It blew the list out of Toad’s hand. The list blew high up into the air.

“Help!” cried Toad. “My list is blowing away. What will I do without my list?”

“Hurry!” said Frog. “We will run and catch it.”

“No!” shouted Toad. “I cannot do that.”

“Why not?” asked Frog.

“Because,” wailed Toad, “running after my list is not one of the things that I wrote on my list of things to do!”

Frog ran after the list. He ran over hills and swamps, but the list blew on and on.

At last Frog came back to Toad.

“I am sorry,” gasped Frog, “but I could not catch your list.”

“Blah,” said Toad. “I cannot remember any of the things that were on my list of things to do. I will just have to sit here and do nothing,” said Toad.

Toad sat and did nothing. Frog sat with him. After a long time Frog said, “Toad, it is getting dark. We should be going to sleep now.”

“Go to sleep!” shouted Toad. “That was the last thing on my list!”

Toad wrote on the ground with a stick: Go To Sleep

Then he crossed it out:

Go To Sleep

“There,” said Toad. “Now my day is all crossed out!”

“I am glad,” said Frog.

Then Frog and Toad went right to sleep.

5 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Cameron said...

Would have left a comment but it wasn't on my list of things to do.
(All those years of comedy classes paying off)

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

He went to be without dinner - was that punishment for having lost his list?

I have taken lately to carrying around a notepad and keeping a list of things to do. It is sometimes overwhelming looking at what needs to be accomplished, but it is terribly satisfying to cross off items!

Jono

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Oh you guys...but you know it's true about me! You KNOW!

If only the whole world would make 'to do' lists...just imagine!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Frog and Toad! It's been so long. Sigh.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger F. Ken Josiah said...

Emily,

Hope you reap the best from your teaching venture in Sierra Leone.
I would like to offer you a copy of "Trial by rebellion" as part of your reading collection. To get more information check out http://trialbyrebellion.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home