Saturday, July 28, 2007

...and the countdown continues...

!!!!ONLY 6 DAYS LEFT!!!!

Well, it's been more of the same here for the last couple of weeks. My deadline for leaving Sierra Leone looms ever more clear on the horizon, despite the torrential downpours that have been fogging things up here. Surprisingly, my departure date still remains crystal clear.

I'm certainly a bundle of emotions at the moment, and can honestly cry on demand - I'm thinking of auditioning for some soap operas when I get home, just to capitalize on this remarkable gift. To distract myself from the inevitable, I've been keeping busy. Here's an update:

  • I now have 14 interviews under my belt, including the ones I did while up country in Kailahun (pronounced Ky-lown) and Kenema. I have at least one more that will happen for certain, but I'm aiming for three more. I would have liked to done 20, but the rain has been making it difficult to meet people. Perhaps I should try speed-interviewing?
  • I finished all of my riviting visits to Fourah Bay College and went through a ton of newspapers from 1991-1996. I enlisted my friend Aroun to help me as a research assistant and he was invaluable. In my down time, and when I have electricty, I organize the hundreds of 'images' that I have - instead of photocopying (nightmare!) I'm taking document photos on my camera. It works really well and doesn't cost a cent!
  • I also managed to enlist a friendly library assistant at the public library to help me leaf through papers from 1997-1998. (I offered to pay him, but no, he only wants my email address...so I kept my money and he got nothing. I advised him for the next time to just take the money). Now, when I go back to the library, all I have to do is look at the pages he's marked and decide on which articles are worth 'snapping' (the Krio word for 'taking a picture').
  • I've found someone who has an original document of "Footpaths to Democracy" which is the 'manifesto' for the RUF that Sankoh wrote after the war began. I am supposed to pick it up on Tuesday.
  • Finally managed to get my hands on the footage that the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Station said they had for me. Now I need to find a VHS machine...
  • Have spent some good time with friends here in the last week - I'm going to miss them!
  • Said goodbye to Janet at the Hoovercraft on Monday as she travels to the USA for a month on leave. She won't be back before I leave, so it was a final farewell of sorts....or at least until I come back.
  • Same situation for Gwen, our new(er) housemate, who left on Tuesday for a few weeks in Liberia. Gwen's planning on being in Salone for the next 5 years or so, meaning she should be here whenever I manage to get back.
  • Welcomed a woman named Verity into our house - she's moving in and I'm moving out. It's a shame because I think she and I would have had a lot of fun!
  • Have managed to get myself some kind of parasite...not sure if it's an amoeba or just worms at the moment...I've treated for amoebas, but I'm not sure that's worked. It's not a good time. I'm trying worm treatment next! Yipee!
  • Today I'm praying that the rain stops for a few hours a) because I would like to get an interview done this afternoon, and b) because I'm spending my last weekend here at the beach and would really like to, oh, I don't know...work on my tan? (Love those "Emily, you're in Africa and I look more tanned than you!"....thanks Amy. :) Hello people, it's RAINY SEASON!! *sigh*).

I leave Sierra Leone on Friday August 3rd. I believe my flight leaves around 9:30 or 10pm, and I jet off to London Gatwick airport. I arrive there sometime in the wee hours of Saturday morning, and then the whirlwind tour of England/Scotland begins....and then, THEN, my friends, I fly out of Glasgow Airport sometime on August 12th, to arrive in beloved Lester B. sometime around 5pm, I think (have to double check that). I'll update my final arrival times etc. just before I go...in case anyone has a burning desire to rendezvous with me at the airport. Flowers are not necessary, but if you must, they should probably be tropical. I feel that's most appropriate.

:)

Can anyone say "hibiscus?"....no, wait "bird of paradise"....or "orchid?" Hahahaha. Kidding, guys. Kidding.

3 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog, since you arrived in Salone(F/town), a year ago.

You will be miss by me and another readers overseas.

Well, i leave in the UK, i always check your blog twice every week for news about our belove country.

I admired your effort, and i congrate you, and i hope you one decide's to return back to salone.

Thanks,

Abdul.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Dear Abdul,

Thank you for your compliments. I have enjoyed writing about the country and have enjoyed getting comments and emails from readers like you. It makes our world just a little bit smaller!

I have loved living here, although it is challenging, and I will greatly miss it - I'm sure I will return, but don't yet know exactly when. Only time will tell!

Thanks again,
Emily

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your acknowledgement, and i wish you recover quickly when you eventually return home.

Canada is a great country, and the have done a lot for salone, and still do.

I wish you all the best in life.

Yours

Abdul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home