Thursday, February 22, 2007

...love is in the details...

I tend to regard my blog as needing to be about the BIG stories, the exciting things, the main attractions in my life, and so I don't write much when I think things are mundane, everyday, or just plain ordinary (how's that for synonyms?). The problem with this approach is that so often my life is just that...a little bit boring. In fact, I found this quote in a book I was reading over breakfast recently that kind of sums up how I sometimes feel about life and also about teaching:



"One night my 5 year old hugged me and said 'I love you, Mommy, but I love God more.' I was pleased and told her, 'That's the way it should be, Katie.' But then she added, 'I love God more because he's never boring and sometimes you're a little boring, Mom.'" ~ Mary H.

*sigh*


Sometimes, I'm a little boring. Here are some boring snippets from my life this week:



  • I'm not wearing my thumb ring (the one that is permanently welded onto my opposable digit) because I sharpened so many pencils that I gave myself a blister.

  • On Monday morning I forgot that people had moved into our house and stored all of their boxes and trunks on my floor and ran into a box and then tripped over a chair on my way to the bathroom. Yes, I have a huge bruise just above my ankle. It's very attractive.

  • I cut the little girl's hair yesterday, but I think it needs some fixing today - I'm a perfectionist. Plus, she needs to brush it.

  • I slept in until 8am yesterday morning. School starts at 8am. Shockingly I didn't run into any furniture on my way out the door. I did, however, manage to smudge mascara all over my face during second period, drop my powdered milk all over the floor while trying to make a cup of coffee, and rip out my earing while trying to brush my hair leaving a bloody scratch that all of my students remarked on. Oh, and it was Parent-Teacher Roundtable discussions that afternoon, of course.

  • Yesterday's winning quote from the kids in my house after I came home from school was "Miss Emily will you play with us? We want to play school. You can pretend to be the teacher and we can be the students!" No, children. Why? Because in my life, I don't have to pretend to be the teacher...

  • I've managed to actually reconnect with all of the people I talked about to other people this week. It feels good.

  • I have leftover ham, green beans and potatoes for lunch. I love our fridge...and the houseguests. I'm eating better than I have since my parents used to feed me (do not be confused. I am not eating the houseguests...We are cooking actual meals now because of the houseguests. Eating people is gross.)

  • I'm actually tired of watching movies on my laptop so now I've taken to drawing pictures in the paint program. Currently I am working on a portrait of a man's face. I am calling it "Portrait of Man's Face." I think it might be my big break into the art world. Watch for it in gallaries soon.

And that's all I've got. Hope it made you smile. If not, maybe this will...

Yes friends, I'm lucky enough to work with this guy. Justin, thank you for this moment.

2 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger T said...

please tell me that Justin really doesn't dress like this...this IS a joke right? 'Cuz sometimes you never know...

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Emily said...

hahaha...yes, it is a joke. I can't remember why he was dressed like that exactly, but he asked me to take a picture. Usually he dressed quite normally (operative word being 'usually'.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home