Thursday, January 11, 2007

...Dalhousie, running a close second to Trent on the hippie-o-metre...

Ok. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm all about environmental protection and preservation (my newest Social Studies board is about the three 'Rs') but this email notice from my university made me laugh out loud in the computer lab. I felt I needed to share it with you. My facetious comments are in green. Because green is the colour of environmentalism. I swear.


NEW FAIR TRADE COFFEE ALTERNATIVES ON CAMPUS

You've been asking, and we're responding. (well thank goodness someone is listening!) You can now buy Fair Trade Coffee at three University Food Services locations: the Kenneth Rowe Management Building, the Sexton Campus Alumni Lounge, and the coffee shop in the Life Sciences Centre. Each location also uses recycled paper cups rather than styrofoam. (bravo).

Our Food Services Manager, Derrick Hines, says "The supplies for coffee and cups cost more, but if our students are looking for a product and are willing to pay the price to cover our extra cost, then we are willing to try it ... and we like the added bonus of helping the coffee bean farmers." (I love that added bonus. Thanks, Derrick.)

University Food Services is also currently working with suppliers to replace stryofoam plates with bamboo and sugar-based paper plates which are renewable resources and completely biodegradable.(...and also edible.) As well, plans are underway to replace plastic cutlery with biodegradable cutlery made out of potato starch. (I honestly don't know if I can take this seriously. In other news, everything made out of metal on campus will soon be replaced with a bean curd alternative. Sweet!) Watch for these innovative initiatives this spring!

Oh Dalhousie, you're making Trent students everywhere jealous...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home