Thursday, November 30, 2006

...the road less traveled...

I would like to inform you, that this is the hill that I hike at least twice a day, every day. It makes me sweaty, but keeps me fit. LandRovers have trouble making it down this hill. I generally walk it with two textbooks strapped to my back in my knapsack. The extra resistance the textbooks create are giving me perfectly sculpted calf muscles (maybe). There's always a silver lining. (my sister told me that once - 'always look for the positive in things. Like when you miss the bus, consider the fact that now you're getting good exercise from the walk.' Thanks, Tash.) I'm sure it's doing wonders for my butt too. Sweet.
And now for something completely different.
There's an abandoned compound at the top of the hill that I climb every day. I took some photos of the front gate, because I liked the bullet holes. That's what they are. The house used to be owned by a Lebanese family during the war. They left when it was attacked and riddled with bullets. It's a bit sobering to consider the reality of it...

3 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Blogger beth smith said...

Hi there,
Came accross your blog. Anyway - just thought I'd say hi - as I used to live in Freetown when I was a kid - aged 10-14. I was only there for the holidays really - but loved it.(went to a small mission school in Liberia during term time)We lived up on Kortright Hill where Fourah Bay College is. I get what you mean about the steep climbs! Have you climbed up Leister Peak yet? I've just moved to Albania (I'm Scottish really!) I'll be in Albania for 3 years, but moved here in the summer this year. Don't think I've managed to have as much fun yet as you have though, by the looks of things! Just wanted to pass on my greetings - hope you really have a great time time there in Freetown and learning Krio! I've not been back for 16 years now. Goodness...
God Bless,
Beth

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Beth,

Thanks for your comment. It's always neat to see others reading my blog and relating somewhat to my experiences. I suppose it does mean they are real! I'll check out your blog and the adventures you're having(or are soon to have) in Albania. If you can, you should make it back to Salone (incidentally, flights are the cheapest they've ever been as more airlines fly to Lungi now and cost competition has increased).

Happy travels, and keep reading!

Emily

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger beth smith said...

Thanks for reply!
Wow - that cool to know about cheaper tickets to Freetown nowadays. It would be brilliant to visit again one day :) I'll keep checking in and reading your blog. Feel free to read mine!
Love, Beth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home