Wednesday, September 27, 2006

..."a get fresh cool"...

What I'm trying to say is, "I have a cold." (sounding it out in Krio it's a little like "ah get fresh cool")

I'm not molding, but I may as well be...at least it's sunny out now. :)

So I have a few random thoughts to share with some folks back home...

Kyla Smith, I laughed a lot during my last Krio class only no one got the joke. If you'd been there I know you would have. We were learning how to say "a man" in Krio (particularly one you don't know) and in Krio you say it like "wan man" (pronounced a little like "one man"). So I thought of you, friend. And I laughed. Have you found it on DVD yet??

Lindsay Cooper and Jen Keenliside, HELP ME!! I'm teaching grade 8 geography and I'm at a loss...considering I dropped geography as soon as I could after grade 9, I'm dying. Today we talked about the difference between climate and weather ("Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get") and tomorrow, joy of all joys, we'll be discussing the three different types of rain (convectional, orographic, and frontal). We've already covered plate tectonics, the structure of the earth and we're ploughing full speed ahead into the greenhouse effect, horse winds, trade winds, the Coriolis effect...and stuff about gases that makes my brain hurt. Can't we just study dead people???

Finally, for those literature and polisci buffs out there (you know who you are), my grade 8s (who are quite brilliant, generally) have been reading George Orwell's Animal Farm. I was doing some back ground reading on some of the ideas in the novel, and I was struck by one that went something like "Orwell suggests that we cannot eliminate government corruption by electing principled individuals to roles of power; he reminds us throughout the novella that it is power itself that corrupts." An interesting idea, especially while I'm here in Sierra Leone, surrounded by blatant corruption on a daily basis...also interesting considering there is an election coming up in July 2007. (yes, campaigning has begun!)

That's all for now friends, hope you're well.

Thanks for commenting.

1 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Head-of-the-Trent...wow! I guess Autumn is in full swing back home now. I'd say I miss it, but I'd be lying. Fall and Winter are my least favourite season. :)

I miss you though. Thanks for the comment. Say 'hi' to John too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home