Monday, September 18, 2006

...from one side of the spectrum to the other...

As per usual, the weekend was good. Sunday was a peculiar day for a number of reasons, but I think the most dissonant of experiences was the clashing of worlds I encountered as I flew through the day.

I went to church in the morning - Anglican Sunday again, but I couldn't understand a word of what was going on in the sermon. Not to worry, it will get better. After church I headed to Congo Cross (a round about point in Freetown where one can catch and take taxis) which is where her office for Rainbows of Hope is located. I dropped of some of my things for the beach there and then caught a taxi to Montana Gardens, a restaurant on Wilkinson Road. Adama and I had a bite to eat there and then we went to rendevous with Mohammed, an amputee who was a member of the Freetong Players and who I met when I was in Freetown in 2005. Mohammed lives as the majority of Sierra Leoneans do - in a small hut with a corrugated iron roof held down by rocks, and bamboo strips woven together to form walls. He protects agains mold, insects and the elements by lining the hut with vinyl sheeting. There were two rooms in his home, a bed, and three chairs, no electricity or running water. It started to rain just as we were leaving, so we didn't get to see whether water would drip through the roof, but I have no doubt that he gets very wet, and often, during the rainy season.

After our brief visit with Mohammed, Adama and I caught a taxi to her apartment in PZ which boasts a far better set of living conditions for the four individuals who live there. There are two floors, two bathrooms (no running water though and no real showers) a living room, three bedrooms, a kitchen and when they have electricity, a TV and DVD player. Adama and her family have relatives overseas.

I spent a few hours with Adama trying to sort out some banking business (nightmare) and then I caught another taxi back to Congo Cross to meet up with Hanneke and some friends again to go to the beach. We spent a rainy afternoon at Lumley, but still managed to have fun and get some swimming in to boot! We were an eclectic bunch by the water - a couple of native Sierra Leoneans, a handful of wealthy Lebanese, and a group of white NGO-workers from various developed countries. A new meaning to the phrase "cultural mosaic."

As the sun began to sink behind the horizon, we headed back to the Rainbows of Hope office where I sat with Sylvanus and ate some of his chicken and rice. We talked about cultural differences...it was interesting. Around 8:30pm we set out to our final destination for the day - a man named Ibrahim's opulent palace. I kid you not. Seriously. Not only was the place enormous, complete with double balcony, kitchen, dining room, living room, guest room, bedroom, and bathroom...there was wall to wall marble and mahogany. Oh yeah, there was also a jaccuzi. No, I didn't use it. I can't believe a place like that exists here...The man has made his money honestly - he's in real estate, and owns quite a bit of property. (this is what I choose to believe as well).

Anyway, this is quite long. If you made it this far, I commend you.

Can't believe it's almost Thursday....

2 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger Debi and Kitch said...

isn't it weird the experiences we have when overseas. My class right now is causing me all sorts of interesting, and at times difficult, thoughts. It's a crazy world.
Hope you appreciate my long distance texts - i have no idea of the time difference so i just text and assume you love being woken up by 5am updates of my life in NZ!
:) miss you

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Emily said...

hey! You know I love it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home